Between Virginia and offensive linemen, it is simple to see where the strength of the East Region lies in the 2014 recruiting class.
The East region placed 37 players in the class’ initial Scout 300, including a quartet of five stars and 33 four-star prospects, and 11 of the players are from Virginia. In addition, six of the players are offensive lineman, including Red Bank (N.J.) Catholic High offensive tackle Quenton Nelson.
Nelson holds nearly 30 offers and is the No. 8 offensive tackle in the nation. He is rated No. 85 overall.
“I‘m really honored and humbled by it,” Nelson said. “A lot of kids would like to be in my position, and I’m happy all the hard work I put in during the offseason – lifting, training, getting quicker, getting faster – all worked out.”
The top-rated lineman in the region is Damian Prince of Bishop McNamara High (Forestville, Md.). He is the No. 31 prospect in the nation, and No. 6 in the region. The other offensive lineman are Olney (Md.) Our Lady of Good Counsel High’s Sam Mustipher (61), Fredericksburg (Va.) Chancellor High’s Steven Moss (78), Nelson, Mt. Lebanon (Pa.) High’s Alex Bookser (163) and Bethel Park (Pa.) High’s Michael Grimm (179).
“It’s great that people think I had that good of a year last year, but that’s all it really means,” Bookser said.
The top defensive end in the region is Woodbridge (Va.) High’s Da’Shawn Hand, who is also the No. 2 player overall. Five-star Jabrill Peppers of Paramus (N.J.) Catholic is the top cornerback (No. 11 overall) and five-star Quin Blanding of Bayside High (Virginia Beach, Va.) is the top safety (15). Andrew Brown of Oscar Smith High (Chesapeake, Va.) is also a five-star, and the No. 2 defensive end in the nation.
Prince is the top offensive tackle in the region and Mustipher is the top guard. Caleb Henderson of Lake Braddock High (Burke, Va.) is the top quarterback (53), Jamil Kamara of Lake Taylor High (Norfolk, Va.) is the top receiver (108), Shai McKenzie of Washington (Pa.) High is the top running back (117) and Melvin Keihn of The Gilman School (Baltimore) is the top linebacker (236).
The 2014 Scout 300
East Region players in the 2014 Scout 300
1. DE Da'Shawn Hand, Woodbridge (Va.) High
2. CB Jabrill Peppers, Paramus (N.J.) Catholic High
3. S Quin Blanding, Bayside High, Virginia Beach, Va.
4. DE Andrew Brown, Indian River High, Chesapeake, Va.
5. CB Jalen Tabor Edison-Friendship Charter, Washington, D.C.
6.OT Damian Prince Bishop McNamara High, Forestville, Md.
7. QB Caleb Henderson Lake Braddock Secondary Burke, Va.
8.OG Sam Mustipher Our Lady Good Counsel High, Olney, Md.
9. DE Thomas Holley Abraham Lincoln High, Brooklyn, N.Y
10. OT Steven Moss Chancellor High, Fredericksbur, Va.
11. OT Quenton Nelson, Red Bank (N.J.) Catholic High
12. CB Dravon Henry, Aliquippa (Pa.) High
13. DE Jalyn Holmes, Lake Taylor High, Norfolk, Va.
14. WR Jamil Kamara, Lake Taylor High, Norfolk, Va.
15. RB Shai McKenzie, Washington (Pa.) High
16. DT Derrick Nnadi, Ocean Lakes High, Virginia Beach, Va.
17. DE Andrew Trumbetti, Northern Valley Reg. Demarest (N.J.) High
18. S Montae Nicholson, Gateway High, Monroeville, Pa.
19. QB Travon McMillian, C. D. Hylton High, Woodbridge, Va.
20. WR Saeed Blacknall, Manalapan High, Englishtown, N.J.
21. OT Alex Bookser, Mt. Lebanon (Pa.) High
22. CB Kiy Hester, St. Joseph Regional-Montvale (N.J.) High
23. OT Michael Grimm, Bethel Park (Pa.) High
24. TE Garrett Dickerson, Bergen Catholic High, Oradell, N.J.
25. DE Jesse Aniebonam, Our Lady Good Counsel High, Olney, Md.
26. DT Jeremiah Clarke, T.C. Williams High, Alexandria, Va.
27. WR Ricky Rogers, Gateway High, Monroeville, Pa.
28. DT Jay Hayes, Poly Prep High, Brooklyn, N.Y.
29. CB D'Andre Payne, Friendship Collegiate Charter, Washington, D.C.
30. WR K.J. Williams, Liberty High, Bethlehem, Pa.
31. OLB Melvin Keihn, Gilman School, Baltimore
32. S Marcus Allen, Wise High, Upper Marlboro, Md.
33. CB Troy Vincent, Gilman School, Baltimore
34. OLB Greer Martini, Woodberry Forest (Va.) School
35. WR Chris Godwin, Middletown (Del.) High
36. RB Gerald Owens, West Deptford High, Westville, N.J.
37. WR Troy Apke, Mt. Lebanon (Pa.) High