Tebow finished the 2005 season completing 223-of-355 passes (62.8 percent) for 3,442 yards and 34 touchdowns. He also rushed for 1,045 yards and 21 touchdowns in leading Nease to the Class 4A state championship.
This season, Tebow surpassed 2003 Mr. Football Xavier Lee's state record for career passing yards (9,940). He also holds state single-season records for passing yards (4,286), touchdown passes (46), total offense (5,552) and total touchdowns (70) and career marks for total offense (12,660 yards), touchdowns (159) and completions (631).
"We raise our milk glasses to Tim Tebow for a job well done this season," said Matt Lussier, a Gainesville area dairy farmer and president of Dairy Farmers, Inc. "Tim is a great example of what we're looking for in a winner of this award. We're confident that Tim will represent this honor and the Florida Dairy Farmers in a positive manner and we wish him continued success in the future."
In a runaway vote, Tebow, previously named Class 4A Player-of-the-Year, finished with 25 of 31 first-place votes and 287 points, well ahead of Class 2B Player-of-the-Year C.J. Spiller of Union County, who was the runner-up with 160 points. Class 2A Player-of-the-Year Jarrod Fleming of Bushnell South Sumter finished third with 153 points.
The 5A Player-of-the-Year, Gene Atkins of St. Thomas Aquinas, finished fourth with 125 points followed by 6A Player-of-the-Year Antwan Graham of Sarasota (123), 1A Player-of-the-Year Marcus Sims of North Florida Christian (120), 1B Player-of-the-Year J.J. Laster of Graceville (108) and 3A Player-of-the-Year Marcelo Trigg of Tampa Robinson (102).
The Florida Dairy Farmers Sports Awards program exemplifies Dairy Farmers Inc.'s commitment to the state's youth. While honoring the state's top athletes and coaches in all 24 FHSAA-sanctioned sports, the program also emphasizes to young people the importance of keeping dairy products a primary part of their diet in their overall nutrition plan.
Mr. Football Past Winners
- 1992 - Jammi German - Ft. Myers
- 1993 - Shevin Wiggins - Bradenton Manatee
- 1994 - Daunte Culpepper - Ocala Vanguard
- 1995 - Frankie Franklin - Jacksonville Sandalwood
- 1996 - Travis Henry - Frostproof
- 1997 - Zain Gilmore - Tampa Robinson
- 1998 - Anquan Boldin - Pahokee
- 1999 - Willie Green - Kissimmee Osceola
- 2000 - Adrian McPherson - Bradenton Southeast
- 2001 - Leon Washington - Jacksonville Jackson
- 2002 - Andre Reese - Pierson Taylor
- 2003 - Xavier Lee - Daytona Seabreeze
- 2004 - Antone Smith--Pahokee